When I say 20 Yards I am talking about cable length. I am not sure if I
need 20 yards or not I was just trying to get an understanding of what
people would consider is acceptable for length of signal and speaker
wires?

I do not have a basement only solid concrete floors. I am currently
specifying the wiring for a major overhaul of our house which is why I
am asking these questions now. Loosing cables in walls is no issue. I
mention the rack as I will have a rack in the study and if it is
possible to hide the amps away in another central room that would be an
excellent solution, if it works.

I do like the powered speaker solution and may use this in some other
rooms, such as the kitchen where they can be positioned out of the way,
maybe above cupboards. But in the lounge I believe I will look for
surface mount speakers to keep the install as unobtrusive as possible.

--
GregW