Robin Bowes Wrote:

> The only ways I can think of that could possibly cause any difference
> are:
>
> 1. flac decoding routine in SB firmware is not correct - unlikely, and
> seem to remember that it has been confirmed that the decoding is
> accurate by recording SPDIF data from the digital out and comparing to
> the original PCM data.
>
> 2. The decoded PCM data is fed to the DAC in a different way than PCM
> data received directly from the network with possibly differing clock
> stability and resulting difference in jitter. Again, unlikely.
>
> 3. The very act of running the flac conversion routine on silicon
> inside
> the SB causes interference with other parts of the SB (EMF, change in
> current draw, voltage drops, etc.).
>
> R.

Possibility 1 is out - many people have verified that the S/PDIF stream
is bit-accurate.

2 and 3 are possible, in principle.  Of course, they also allow for the
possibility - just as likely - that streaming FLAC sounds better than
streaming WAV.

Everyone that has actually tried this blind has been unable to hear a
difference... so why are we wasting our time discussing it?

--
opaqueice