Phil Leigh Wrote:
> It's definitely true that EAC will rip discs that several CDP's refuse
> to play.
As far as I can ascertain, the reason for this is that EAC will try
again & again, and when it finally admits defeat in resolving an error,
it writes the best it can to the output file and moves on. An audio
player, on the other hand, will stop if the errors are so bad that it
loses tracking focus.

Phil Leigh Wrote:
> The only audible "ticks" (and accompanying error reports) I ever get
> with EAC are  certain types of copy protection or from bronzed discs
> (depends how bad they are). The bronzed discs refuse to play  at all on
> any CDP I have access to.
I think there are two basic causes of uncorrectable errors. One is
minor damage (eg. scratches) and/or dirt/dust/fingermarks/etc. In this
case, re-reading has a chance of overcoming the problem and getting a
clean result. In my case, since all my CDs are handled with great care,
I don't really have any with this type of problem.

The other type of cause is manufacturing faults, deliberate errors for
"copy protection", and deterioration so bad that no amount of
re-reading is ever going to work (eg. bronzing). It is my contention
that when faced with this latter type of uncorrectable error, EAC's
strategy simply doesn't achieve anything.

Phil Leigh Wrote:
> I accept that my Samsung DVDR drive is not a Plextor, but then it
> doesn't need to be for this purpose.
Plextors are not necessarily the be-all and end-all of drives. I recall
my daughter presenting me with a CD that looked like it had been
attacked with a knife. The Plextor barfed on it, but an LG CDRW drive
in my wife's PC managed to struggle through and get *something* off the
disc.

--
cliveb