cliveb Wrote:

> This isn't what EAC does. The reading drive reports an uncorrected C2
> error, and EAC starts re-reading the same block over & over again, in
> the hope that the error will go away. But in most cases the error
> *doesn't* go away. My experience is that  if EAC detects an
> uncorrectable error, it rarely pops out the other side of this process
> having eliminated it. And the normal result is an audible "tick" in the
> extracted WAV file. I have yet to see any evidence that EAC performs
> error concealment through interpolation in the way that audio players
> do. Even CDROM drives that have error interpolation capability (eg. my
> Plextor PX712A) are not utilised fully by EAC. I recently ripped a
> brand new CD that had uncorrectable errors, and only Plextools was able
> to get a clean result, precisely because it apparently knows how to
> instruct the drive to deploy its interpolation algorithm. EAC could not
> produce a tick-free result in any mode (secure, fast or burst).

I wonder whether this discussion simply arises from people's
experiences with different CD-ROM drives.  I've very rarely had EAC
produce a tick - and many of my CDs are damaged to some extent, so I've
had lots of experience with it!  The lack of tick is not usually because
it has managed to correct the error exactly (the CRC check usually
fails) so I guess it must be interpolating, or fixing all but a very
few errors.

Another possible explanation for the different experiences may be types
of damage - my CDs are mostly a bit scratched, whereas your problematic
ones are just old, no?  Maybe EAC does better on errors caused by
scratches.

--
opaqueice