Robin Bowes Wrote:
> opaqueice wrote:
> > Are you saying the same cable and DAC will induce a different types
> of
> > jitter in different transports?
> >
> > Put another way, suppose someone measures the jitter spectrum at the
> > S/PDIF output of a CD player and an SB, and finds them to be the
> same.
> > Are you saying those two devices connected with identical cables to
> > identical DACs could sound different?
>

> Yes, that's exactly it.
>
> The digital signal is transmitted down an analogue cable so the
> analogue
> characteristics of the transmitter, cable, and receiver all affect the
> transmission.
>
> R.

I'm pretty skeptical of this, although I agree it's possible (as is
almost anything!).  If it is a significant effect, one implication is
that it's impossible and/or useless to try to meaure jitter, since the
analogue characteristics of the oscilloscope you use will affect the
result (and differ from DAC plus cable).

--
opaqueice