It doesn't really compete with CD players. Those who determined to use
HD based music storage won't buy CD Player, and vice versa. It competes
with outboard DACs, which is a bit easier.

BTW, even though I do have $3.5K CD player, I'm seriously considering
Transporter. Let alone technical advantage of HDD vs CD, it's much more
convenient to operate the music from remote, instead of looking for a CD
and then looking where did I leave the envelop... I just wait for the
actual production unit to see the overall quality and some feedbacks.

--
325xi