DynamicalSystem Wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand the bug as it stands.  By analog out, it means
> RCA, I'm guessing?  Does this mean that all auto-sensing amps and
> speakers fail to sense with the SB?  Does this happen even if the SB is
> in stand-by?

My Mackies are connected directly to the red/white RCA analog outputs
on the SB.

The auto-off on the Mackies is very sensitive, and they will turn on if
they detect the faintest of noises (-74dBu is the threshold).

The DAC in the SB is very quiet in the audible band (in the 20Hz-20kHz
range, the noise floor is -127dBu). But it does emit some noise at much
higher frequencies. You can't hear this noise due to the frequency, but
its enough to stop the Mackies from going to sleep.

This noise is emitted whenever the SB is powered on, even if its in
standby mode. The only way to let the Mackies go to sleep is to pull
the power plug out of the back of the SB!!

The problem can be fixed in firmware, by disabling the DAC when the SB
is in standby mode. Richard Titmuss tried doing this when he was
developing the latest firmware, but he found that disabling the DAC
caused a loud pop on the analog outputs. So the feature was never
added.

Chris

--
cbemoore