GreenMan Wrote:

> HOWEVER, I just read in an archived discussion in this forum where is
> was stated that there was NO jitter associated with playing music
> straight from the SB because "the computer takes care of it". Is this
> accurate? It may make the Benchmark overkill for what I need, at least
> on the SB side of the house.

Not sure which thread you are looking at here, but to be clear...

- The computer takes care of any jitter in the link from the computer
to the SB. This is done using ethernet protocols, what arrives in the
SB will not suffer from jitter at all.  This is because this transfer
is strictly in the digital domain.

- The computer can't help at all in the process of getting the bits out
of the SB's buffer into the DAC or digital outputs. Jitter is definitely
a potential issue here.  A digital output from an SB or similar device
is, in a real sense, not in a digital domain at all, its an analogue
signal attempting to carry ones and zeros...

HTH

Ceejay

--
ceejay