sleepysurf Wrote:
> I posted my doorbell chime extender observation solely because, IMHO, it
> offers *objective* proof that *something* has changed.

Yep.  To tell the truth, when I first read your post, I thought the
whole situation was extremely bizarre.  But after thinking about it for
a while, I realized that there is physically verifiable evidence here.
And physically verifiable evidence, no matter how bizarre the
circumstances is to me worth more than audiophile hearsay.  That's why
this whole thing is worth investigating further.

I did look up these remote doorbells, and it appears some work at 400
MHz or so, and some work at 2.4 GHz (which begins to make sense).  So a
hypothesis might be that conducted EMI at around 2.4 GHz is getting into
the system and radiating (via speaker cables?) and getting picked up by
the doorbell receiver.  That was why I suspected there might be a cable
from SB analog out to preamp.  The 63 dB attenuation at audio won't
attenuate 2.4 GHz by nearly that much, but maybe by a few dB.

If it's a conducted EMI problem, there's really only two paths
originating at the SB - the analog output cable and the S/PDIF.  If
it's not a conducted EMI problem, I must admit I'll be lost at that
point.  But disconnecting the analog cable and replacing the S/PDIF
cable with TosLink (one at a time) will eliminate conducted EMI
originating with the SB.

One reminder, but I'm sure you already know this.  Before changing
anything, be sure to repeat the problem with the remote doorbell, just
in case something else has happened in the meantime to change things.

--
andy_c