PhilNYC Wrote:
> FWIW, there's also a school of thought that says most amps (of the same
> type) sound the same too.  YMMV...

There are differences, even among amps of the same type.  That's
something you can pretty easily test in an audio store - often they
have multiple amps hooked up so you can swap betweem them with the same
source and speakers.  There are significant differences...  but in the
same rooms you can swap speakers as well, and in my experience at least
the difference between amps is much smaller than between speakers.

This isn't surprising - speakers are the only component with moving
parts, with a response that depends on the room you put them in.  In
fact they're the only component that involve sound at all, and
acoustics is much more complicated and difficult than any electronic
circuit where you have precise control over every component.

Skunk Wrote:

> Not that I don't agree w/ a lot of what you said, but this seems like a
> poor test- ignoring instrument seperation, placement of the sounds
> between or around the speakers, ambience of recording venues, etc..

What Phil said.  In any case I agree it might not be the best test to
determine which you prefer once you know there's a real difference.
But to see if there's any perceptible difference at all it's fine.

--
opaqueice