tommypeters;134719 Wrote:
> BTW, DVD-A is rippable digitally on a computer, SACD is rippable
> digitally in a rebuilt player (like a Denon 2900) connected to a
> computer...
>
> DVD-A is continuing as Dolby True HD in Blu-ray/HD-DVD and you can get
> the same quality with DTS HR Audio and better with DTS Mastering.
>
> SACD is dying. In 2005 DVD-Audio sales passed SACD sales - at a very
> low level.

That's very true. But even if they were to devise a PERFECT digital
protection scheme, there's always the analog hole which is nearly
impossible to plug.  Someone with a bit of know-how could very easily
capture the analog signals (by tapping into the speaker-outs if need
be) and simply remaster a distribution.

Granted, there will be some quality loss, but if done carefully, most
people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. ...and by most, I mean
anybody without a golden ear and a high-priced system.  Look how happy
people have always been to trade cassettes of copied music from LP's or
tape-to-tape in the "old days".

Ultimately ... this is why all this DRM crap like guarding the prison
gates while the inmates are climbing over the fences.  In the long run,
they're penalizing the "honest" media user, while the bad-guys continue
doing what they've always done while hardly missing a beat.  AND they
create a whole class of 'hackers' who go after thier DRM schemes simply
to see if it can be done.

--
jeffluckett