jbm0;140096 Wrote:
> My question is...  why would you concern yourself with 192K sources?  It
> hasn't yet been demonstrated to me that 192K actually sounds better than
> 96K;  and really, a sizeable portion of the 44.1/16->96/24 jump in
> quality (to my ears) comes when you go from 44.1/16 to 48/24, maybe
> just because of a few more bits of level resolution.
>
> Do you have any actual, natively-192K/24 recordings, or are you just
> feature-counting?
Yes, I have several recordings in 192/24 and when I heard them on my
M-Audio's Revolution 5.1 (192/24) it was like switching from 128/mp3 to
a CD! 44/16 doesn't sound edgy, it's just that everything is so "bold"
and "fat" comparing to 192/24 where music sounds airy, with so many
details...

> If I were you, and didn't have that Benchmark yet, I expect I'd just
> forget the whole idea of an external DAC and get on the list for a
> Transporter.  Put the money which would have gone for the DAC toward
> the Transporter, and enjoy both great sound *and* good looks and a nice
> interface.  The second display panel actually meaningfully improves the
> user interface, especially when set to "Extended Text Display".
Hmmm... yes that's my dilemma... Transporter looks so attractive
(feature wise too ;))

--
dcolak