SteveEast;142698 Wrote:
> Pat,
>
> Can you explain why, please?
>
> Steve.

Ahh, finally something I can speak up on :)  DJ turntables have a few
important characteristics:

Must start/stop quickly
Must have widely variable speed control
Must have a heavy tonearm which resists skipping even under intense
physical stress & vibration
Must have a drive mechanism which doesn't mind being forcably stopped
and even wound backwards

Sound quality, while a nice to have, is far less important than any of
these things. Hence the defacto standard DJ deck is the Technics
SL-1210. It's direct drive, high torque (with low inertia platter),
with a +/- 8% variable speed control, quick start/stop (with brake) and
an s-bend tonearm with bayonet headshell socket. Oh and of course we use
non-stick (NOT non-slip!) mats and no dust covers :)

This is pretty much the exact opposite of every audiophile turntable
I've ever seen. In my (limited) experience they favour belt drive (to
minimise rumble), low torque (high inertia platter) for speed
stability, and simple 33/45 speed settings. The cartridges tend to be
fixed and the tonearms super-light/balanced. A DJ would destroy one of
those in a few seconds!

--
radish