CardinalFang;143841 Wrote:
> To work well the active crossover would have to be closely matched to
> the drive units I would imagine, so it's not surprising in some ways
> that it was better without it.

Agreed.

Don't forget that the speakers already have crossovers in them.
Indeed, the speaker designers have taken great pains to ensure they've
designed their crossovers properly for the specific drivers and
enclosures they're using.  Using the high/low binding bosts does not
bypass the internal crossovers.  Using an additional crossover
(particularly one whose effects overlap those of the speaker's
crossovers) could have a seriously detrimental effect on the sound.
And not only for the obvious reasons--crossovers can interact in
bizarre ways (a proper explanation of which might require an audio or
electrical engineer).  If you wish to alter the crossover points you
really need to replace or bypass the internal crossovers.

--
azinck3