joncourage;143925 Wrote:
> Can you describe the pass-thru arrangement in more detail?  This is
> probably what I was getting at, but sounds like prob not available on a
> cheap amp. I'm not really following all the other stuff on
> external/active crossovers, and it seems like that may be a red
> herring...?

The pass-thru feature is also sometimes called loop out.  This is
included on some power amps (Musical Fidelity that I use has it on most
of their power amps).  The signal from the left output of the source
component (preamp or Transporter, etc) feeds the first power amp via a
single RCA cable.  A second RCA cable then goes from the loop out of
this 1st amp to the signal input of the second power amp.  Similarly
the right output from the source goes through the same set up with the
3rd and 4th power amps.  The 4 power amps are then connected via
speaker cable to the 4 pairs of input posts on the speakers.  This
cable can be four individual 2-core speaker cables or you can use
special bi-wiring cable which has four conductors in each bundle.

The 4 power amps do not need to be seperate monoblocs but can be a pair
of stereo power amps, as long as at least one has the loop out sockets.

Hope this helps clarify a bit.

davep

--
davep