joncourage;145008 Wrote:
> let PC, or just a small laptop are imo superior to the limited abilities
> of any remote.  I mean, you get the whole enchilada web interface with
> all the capabilities of the Slim software.  What's the big deal about
> the Sonos remote, compared to that?

For me it's speed, both in updating the screen and starting up. A
dedicated remote would be instantly on and scrolling through lists and
album art would be at native code speeds, not web page refresh (even
with AJAX it's not that snappy, and it isn't widely supported on mobile
devices yet either). Also dedicated and correctly labeled controls and
buttons would make it easier for the rest of my family to use - that
scroll wheel on the Sonos makes it very attractive to iPod users. Also,
I don't want everyone to have access to the server settings for example
- there may be a way to prevent my kids from messing things up, but I'd
rather them not see anything at all to do with set-up by default.

In short, I don't want a device masquerading as a remote, no matter how
convincing, I want the real thing tailored for the purpose in both
software and hardware affordance and usability.

In the meantime I'd settle for a faster Flash-based interface on a PSP
instead - I did try making one myself using OpenLaszlo but found that
my PSP didn't allow me to tunnel out to the server :-( Hopefully
they'll put a better vesrion of Flash on there soon.

--
CardinalFang

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever...