cliveb;146116 Wrote:
> The error correction on CDs is cross-interleaved Reed-Solomon code, and
> it's actually *more* sophisticated than ECC used in some (more
> expensive) computer RAM. Both red book and yellow book use the same
> CIRC strategy; the difference is that yellow book uses more of each
> block for redundant error correcting data. This is because, while the
> odd uncorrectable error on an audio CD can be interpolated, on a data
> CD it's utterly fatal. (And hence the reason why on a 80min blank CDR
> you can store 700MB when written in data format, but 800MB when written
> in audio format).

It's been about 15 years since I was familiar with this stuff, but my
fuzzy memory was that Yellow Book format (CD-ROM) did indeed include
EDC/ECC.  So I went back to the ecma version of Yellow Book to check:

http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/files/ECMA-ST/Ecma-130.pdf

It does have EDC/ECC.  As Clive says, both Red Book and Yellow Book use
CIRC (Cross Interleaved Reed-Solomon Code), but in the data version of
Yellow Book discs, a block of each data sector is allocated to EDC/ECC
info for additional error correction.

Page 15 says:

a Sector Mode byte in byte position 15. The setting of this byte shall
be as follows:
If set to (00) : This shall mean that all bytes in positions 16 to 2
351 of the Sector are set to (00).
If set to (01) : This shall mean that all bytes in positions 16 to 2
063 are user data bytes and that the
bytes in positions 2 064 to 2 351 are set according to 14.3 to 14.6
below. Thus the user
data is protected by EDC, ECC and CIRC.

--
pvadbx