You mean integrated amp, right?   There's a big difference between an
integrated amp -- it includes a preamp or line stage component -- and
an amplifier (or power amplifier).  Not to be a pest, but it seems like
people on this forum confuse the two.

Anyway, yes: the commonly recommended method is to fix the digital
volume control at the maximum setting, through Slim Server, and then
use the line stage volume control.  But, as patrick pointed out, you're
safe in the range of 40-100.  For kicks, I've listened to it lower than
that and found very little, if any, discernable difference.  In short,
there is nothing to get anxious about.  For peace of mind, just set it
at max and use your volume control on another device for attenuation.

--
highdudgeon

Relax.  It's about the music.