Things are a bit more complicated. With analog systems, you generally
want to keep the voltage as high as you can for as much of the circuit
as you can. Hence the suggestion to only use the preamp volume
control.

But with high-quality equipment and cables, the signal-to-noise ratio
means we can do quite a bit of attenuating before we need to worry
about the noise. That amount's about 30dB. Hence the suggestion that
you can drop 30dB using the digital volume control without impact.

In fact, with 16-bit audio sources (will the SB accept any 24-bit
formats?) You can only drop 24dB before you start losing information.

And the SB volume control likely offers you better control at low
volumes that your preamp volume control. I'd suggest you use your
preamp volume control (with the SB set at 100) to set your max desired
volume for the listening session, then use the SB volume control to
make adjustments during the session. You probably very rarely need more
than a 24dB range in any given situation.

--
rjplummer