You know, Logitech makes keyboards and mice, something they have done
for a million years...

A quick look shows that they not only make the $15 keyboards that most
of us probably use, they also make $200 keyboards and seem to have no
problem selling "high end typing gear".

And while everyone and their brother makes $10 universal remotes,
Logitech makes $200 universal remotes with displays and USB interfaces
for programming.

They may be known for their $15 keyboards and $10 mice... but they do
have a substantial high end line of products, I don't see why
Squeezeboxes and Transporters won't fit into that line.  People like my
parents who don't listen to a lot of music, and don't do it all over the
place would be happy with a simple cheap  player.  Those who want better
fidelity or more than what is basically a long-cable player would buy a
Squeezebox.  And people with very discerning ears would get a
transporter.

I don't think they are competing with each other at all.

What it gives Slim is better distribution channels and "clout" for
things like advertising.

What it gives Logitech is an entry into higher end audio: much like the
Harmony acquisition got them into the fancy universal remote business.

I would -much- rather have Logitech own Slim than decide to improve
their existing player so that it was competing with the Squeezebox.

--
snarlydwarf