jeffluckett;152340 Wrote:
> Well, my point here was that HDMI is a digital cable ... as are toslink
> and coax.
>
> As long as it's capable of transparently delivering the bits from one
> end to the other, there should be no effect on the delivered sound.
> I'd be surprised if a cable could introduce any meaningful amount of
> jitter, as isn't that really a function of clock accuracy of the
> device?
>
> Anyway, you could more easily sell me on there being problems from
> induced currents in a coax than you ever could on an optical cable.
> Either the bits arrive at thier destination or they don't.

If the effect of jitter is real, which it is because it has been
measured, then the cables can affect jitter with most digital equipment
due to the way the clock recovery works. I agree that it seems less
likely that optical cables sound different, but I'm not prepared to
rule it out without doing the research first.

SPDIF is not comparable to HDMI. A 50 Hz picture with all bits being
dumped over HDMI a frame at a time is not comparable to streamed SPDIF.

--
P Floding