CatBus;152317 Wrote:
> By "supported", do you mean "it works" or "SlimDevices will give me
> official technical support for this".  That could be a significant
> distinction.
> ... you could safely say the clients work for every format you are
> likely to consider.

Thank you for your reply. I am very aware of the flexibility of the
slimserver server software and slimdevices products. My request was for
an easy way to verify the "default" capabilities of the products without
having to scour forum posts or web sites.

For example, I was recently working with some audio files that were
natively 48k 16bit. I was thinking I would need to downsample them to
44k 16 bit before posting to my Slimserver server when I recalled that
I thought that the firmware could automatically handle the conversion.
I'm not sure where I read this but it was probably in some forum post.
Another example is when I originally setup my linux based standalone
slimserver for my house. I was only faced with the reality that the
linux slimserver would not support WMA Lossless after I began the build
process. I may be wrong but I don't think there is anyway to support WMA
Lossless if you are running a Slimserver on Linux?

Finally, I am very aware of the advantages of FLAC and have been using
it extensively but I originally went with higher bit rate WMA lossy
because I wanted to retain compatibility with portable WMA players. I
have recently purchased the Media Monkey software which excels at
format handling and conversion. Since this software can transcode FLAC
to WMA on the fly for use in portable players I now can have the best
of both worlds.

To conclude, what I am looking for is matrix that breaks out the
various hardware and software products and details the default codec
support and bit rates by OS platform. Maybe I am the only one needing
this but it would be helpful not to have to scratch my head everytime I
need to consider if the platform supports a given file. The statement
that the product supports everything is neither helpful or informative
when there are limitations that could easily be explained in a concise
and easily bookmarked place.

Thanks for your consideraton.

-CB

--