cliveb;157992 Wrote:
> I seem to recall that some years back it was noted that many
> professional (classical) musicians in fact owned pretty low-end stereo
> systems, and seemed perfectly happy with them. The hypothesis was that
> these people's training meant that they could mentally "fill in" the
> missing bits.
>

> We often hear this argument about live music, but I'm beginning to
> doubt it, at least as far as rock music is concerned (which is my
> poison of choice). Simple fact of the matter is that the actual sound
> in a typical rock concert is dreadful. I mean really, really awful. I
> certainly don't want to replicate that in my living room. Even at my
> favourite venue (The Stables at Milton Keynes, which is *much* better
> than most), the sound is still not really that good. (Of course, live
> classical or acoustic jazz may very well be a different matter. It's
> been years since I attended either).
>
> I feel the purpose of an audio system is to create an enjoyable musical
> experience at home. The chances of having a similar experience to what
> you get at a live concert seems vanishingly small to me. That doesn't
> mean that it can't be just as emotionally rewarding - just in a
> different way.

Do you really think so? Personally, I want my set up to reproduce the
exact acoustic of a Deep Purple concert I went to in 1972 in Trentham
Gardens, Staffordshire. I've used a PC based digital correction system
to apply reverb as similar as possible to an outdoor ambience and to
knock off anything over about 10kHz, and have additionally programmed
it to produce random bursts of simulated wild howlround. Then I've
added a couple of 18 inch drivers salvaged from a Stazi interrogation
centre, and a REL Strata V, then wrapped the whole speaker array in a
layer of acoustically treated sponge and the sub woofers in an
additional blanket, (adding 22.73dB of gain to compensate, of course).
That's in addition to the £300 a metre cryogenically treated cables and
£1000 upgraded power cables, of course, and the bass traps and other
acoustic treatment, there just to help the digital stuff. Well, wow, is
all I can say. I mean, I could be 400 yards from the stage. Brilliant.

Mind you, the Dowland sounds bloody awful.

What? Did I say something wrong?

--
geraint smith