If anyone has ever thought about upgrading their Squeezebox power supply
to a Linear Power Supply, then I have one for sale. I have just upgraded
to a transporter so have no further use for the PSU.

If you have a decent Hi-Fi then you will get a much clearer/fuller
sound from your Squeezebox.

This is the second linear PSU that I have built and I have been
extremely pleased with the results. I used a Power One HB5-3 (5V, 3A)
PSU with over voltage protection and voltage sensing. My Mark II model
is built into a neat black plastic box and I have fitted an LCD
Voltmeter on the front panel - you can see it at:

http://www.jrobb.plus.com/PSU/

This is a serious piece of kit and weighs about 2kg. It has been
internally fused at 250mA (as recommended). It is fully tested - has
been running my Squeezebox3 for the last 8 months. It is wired to run
at 240v, but is adjustable. It will not be supplied with the Mains
power lead as I do not have any spares - easily obtained on the High
Street if you do not have one.

I am looking for £60 + £10 p&p - £70 to the UK. The first buyer who
responds to my email address (just click on my username at the top of
this post) will secure the PSU. UK only buyers, please.

All the best,

Jon Robb

PS I have now owned my Transporter for just over a month and have been
doing a few comparisons with the Squeezebox 3 with linear PSU. My HiFi
consists of a

SqueezeBox3/Transporter, Digital Output into
Linn 5103 Pre-amp
Two Exposure 3010 Power Amps, biwired into
AudioVector Mi3 Signature Speakers

On a side by side comparison of the Squeezebox to the Transporter (My
Linn Pre-amp allows me to do this) I found the Transporter was
marginally better sounding than the Squeezebox - slightly more detail
and depth. I was careful to try and match the volume of both devices as
the Transporter volume output was a little louder.

For anyone thinking of making the upgrade, I did find that upgrading my
speakers (from Epos ES11's) gave a far greater 'bang per buck'. On the
other hand I'm sticking with the Transporter as it is musically very
slightly better sounding and looks great.

However, I definitely think to get better sound from your system you
should consider spending the money elsewhere if you already have the
Squeezebox3 (plus linear PSU?). Just make sure you have disabled the
"VOLUME ADJUSTMENT/REPLAY GAIN" as this does make a noticeable
difference.

PPS All of the above observations are my own and your ears may tell you
something else.
Just enjoy the music...

--
jjrobb