I think Tom, who is about as stand-up a guy as you will find here, in
addition to one with an outstanding reference system and the trained
ears of a professional musician, has disproved this notion.  Using a
Bolder "full mods" SB2 -- which incidentally works out to being
slightly more expensive than a Transporter -- he said that sound was
very good...but that he preferred the Transporter.  Amongst other
things, you can't get around a different DAC chip.

For the record, run a transporter straight into an amp, which I think
is pretty common around these parts.  It works quite well and works
perhaps better than an SB3 + Lavry (and, trust me, 1 foot of high
quality digital coax is not going to degrade signal, and especially not
when you're dealing with a re-clocking DAC).

--
highdudgeon

Relax.  It's about the music.