seanadams;162206 Wrote:
> ...Just for completeness: I've also suggested that replacing the
> external 5V feed is silly, because it does not reduce noise at the
> internal power rails - those are internally linear-regulated _down_
> from the output of an internal switching _step-up_ supply. Changing the
> wall wart does not materially affect the internal supplies which
> ultimately power the DAC.
>
> As far as the power supply changes from SB2 to SB3, this was a design
> optimization where a integrated dual switching IC for 1v2/3v3 supply
> was replaced with a 1v2 switcher and a 3v3 linear reg for the digital
> sections. It does not affect the analog rails.

I think this is very valuable information to make available here, thank
you Sean. When I recently bought our SB3, I came here and read so many
posts about the wall-wart, comparisons, etc. It can make a newcomer's
head spin!

I have read some posts here about the stock wall-wart producing
significant RFI that can be radiated/conducted into the users
equipment, enough to still negatively affect equipment sonically even
when the wall-wart is just plugged into the wall (and unattached to
anything else). The suggestion was that a linear replacement will help
cure this, as it eliminates the switching source of the RFI.

For example,  'here's a link to one such post.'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=158072#post158072)

What are your thoughts on this possible RFI issue please?

--
NewBuyer