thatMikeguy;163540 Wrote:
> Yeah sorry I had a solution for the Bryston already (exactly what you
> said). However, the new Totem speakers are a few months away and hence
> the AV8 must do for now.  Is there a way without putting the signal
> through the sub?? That must degrade the sound.
> Cheers,
> Mike.

Yeah, it would somewhat - you'd be sending it through a crossover.

If you send XLR to the amp/speakers and RCA to the sub, you'd get other
issues: when bass is reproduced from both speakers and a sub, you will
get standing waves in the room and zones of constructive interference
(boominess) and destructive interference (muted bass).

These zones move around with different bass frequencies - you're almost
sure to find a frequency where your listening position is right in one
of these interference zones.

You can compensate for this a little bit if the sub can adjust phase.
But you end up moving around the zones to other places at other
frequencies.

Of course, you may stumble on a setting that's pleasing with most music
you listen to, but the possibility for problems is there.

You're also wasting amp power by amplifying bass for the speakers that
you really want to reproduce in the sub.  Bass requires a lot of power
so it's fairly significant.  Also, many speakers don't reproduce low
bass really well.  If they attempt it, they may extend the speaker cone
without producing audible bass, which will distort any higher
frequencies coming through that driver as well (multiple drivers
crossed over at appropriate frequencies minimizes this, of course).

--
Mark Lanctot