adamslim;157503 Wrote:
> I recently got a Derek Shek d2 DAC.......

Just remembered another thing.  I also experimented with different
power sources - with a battery booster 12V battery, and another
converter but with a 100mA current.  The booster battery I have no idea
what current it is rated.  The car battery booster gave a quite unclean
sound.  That's all I want to comment because I abandoned it fast.  Then
I picked up the 100mA converter from Virgin records last week.  Perhaps
it's the converter or the current, the sound did come across as having
more drive.  But, it lacks the refinement of the stock converter that
came with the Shek DAC. The sound is brighter, at least at the top, not
as soothing at the Shek in a way.  I call the sound from using the stock
converter being "round", for lack of a better word.  Somehow, I would
like the sound to be somewhere in between, having enough drive and
dynamics using the Virgin converter, and yet giving the better
soundstaging and imaging using the stock conveter.  May be a 900mA
conveter?

--
goldlizsts