Phil Leigh;165440 Wrote:

> ...and if it is a dumb auto-gain shifter...how does it avoid clipping?
>
> I think replaygain does have a use for casual listening, parties
> etc...but I'd never use it when I really want to hear what the artist
> intended.

I'm not sure I get that first part: it decodes the whole track, finds
the peaks and adjusts the gain so that the peaks are just hitting the
tippy-top of the range.  It isnt hard to do that without clipping in
software.

Think of a series of numbers (which is all digital music is):  39, 29,
23, 47, 48, 32...  if the range is 0-100 without clipping, then
multiply all the numbers by a constant so that the largest is 100.  Ie:
100/max.  There will be rounding errors, for sure, but no clipping.

And, again, I dont use replay gain.  Maybe to keep the purity, but
really just so I have a use for the remote other than 'skip'.

--
snarlydwarf