lafayette wrote:
> This is all interesting.  However, the picture I'm getting here is that
> these kinds of recordings are the exception, not the rule.  Moreover,
> it has to do with a perceptual trick and not the actual physics of how
> point source sound waves hit your ears.

Snarly beat me to it, all stereo is a perceptual trick.

And there are nearly no point sources in the world. Look at an acoustic
guitar. You get sound from the fingerboard, body, strings themselves,
sound hole, etc. The body radiates different sounds from the front,
sides, and back.

Phase is how humans hear. It is critical to identifying location, it is
how we knew where the lion was.

Phase is not talked about a lot because it is hard to get "right"

> This leads to one obvious question: how to judge, given specs, how a
> particular speaker, in a particular (generic) room will handle such
> recordings.  I would imagine that the speaker and not the electronics
> is paramount is achieving the effect.

You can't judge speakers by specs. You have to listen to them. You
should listen to them in your room. Or at least a room like where you
will be listening. You need to listen to music that you know and like.

Getting the phase right is what Quad ESLs and Maggies do right.
Getting it nearly right is what mini-monitors do much better than full
range speakers. But neither mini-monitors nor flat panels can deliver
much bass, or have the bass be seamless with the mid-bass on up.

I think one or two of the uber expensive speakers, like the $50,000
PipeDreams are reviewed to have both imaging and continuousness, but
they are way out of my budget and flunk WAF too much for me to even find
a dealer to listen to them.

You pays your money and you makes your choices.

--
Pat Farrell                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.bioinformatx.com