pi.r;167914 Wrote:
> Indeed a nice trick to add all the files in one go. But still no
> cigar... - I just get error from flac because lack of file path.

I just tried it and it works fine for me. I do a windows search for
*.wav.  Select the files I want to flac from the list (all of them in
this case), then drag them to the flac frontend file list box.

I am now using the latest version of flac but my library was set up
using the previous version.  Maybe there is some issue with your flac
installation.  Also check the flac "tag conf." string - make sure it
uses "\". not "/"

I am also seeing that the album and track replaygain tags are being set
the same in each track.  The "treat files as one album" box is
unchecked.  Hmmmmm.  I must have used foobar to set replaygain.

OK, here's the whole process (I just verified that it works):

1) RIP in EAC with EAC set to store .wav files in desired library
structure.  For example, D:\MUSIC\genre\artist\year - ablum title\track
no. - track title
This can be set up by using the EAC Options menu (F9).  Select the
"directories" tab.  Click "use this directory" and enter "D:\MUSIC".
Now select the "Filename" tab.  Fill the "naming scheme" box with this
string: "%B\%A\%Y - %C\%N - %T".  Now you are ready to rip.

This is the painful part: each time you insert a fresh disc, correct
errors in the FreeDB/CDDB data before you start the actual rip.  Go
ahead and rip a big pile of CDs.

2) Compress and tag: do a windows search for *.wav on the HDD where you
have stored all the .wav files.  Start the windows flac front-end and
drag the .wav files found in the search to the file box in flac.  Click
the "verify", "add tags", and "delete input files" buttons.

Tell flac to populate the tags from the file structure: click "Tag
Conf." button, then select "custom" and fill it with the appropriate
string- from the example above, use "G\A\Y - L\N - T".

DON'T add replay gain tags.  Use foobar for that after all the files
have been flac'd.

3) Add replaygain tags: do a windows search for *.flac files that you
just made.  Start foobar and drag the .flac files from the search onto
the foobar window.  Select all (ctrl-A), right click, select
"replaygain", then "scan selection as albums (by tags)".

Now point Slimserver at D:\MUSIC and it will find everything and set up
its database so you can browse/search by artist, album, song, year,
genre, etc.

That will do it.  Each operation- ripping, flacing, and replaygain
tagging can be done as a batch operation on as many CDs as you care to
rip.  Ripping takes the longest and is the biggest PITA because you
have to sit there and change discs every few minutes and correct all
the freedb errors (if you care to).  I had two computers with 2 CDROM
drives in each doing the ripping and it took me about a week to rip 600
CDs.

Multiple artist and classical discs are a PITA, and you'll have to work
out your own preferred scheme for handling those.

TD

--
tyler_durden