Pat Farrell;168809 Wrote:
> tomjtx wrote:
> > benthos;168790 Wrote:
> >> That's where you and I part paths: it's about my property, not
> Apple's,
> >> or anyone else's.
>
> > I completely agree with you that it's my property once I buy it.
> This
> > whole DRM thing should be a major consumer
> > concern...................but most people seem to be unaware of the
> > limitations DRM puts on our purchase.
>
> Sadly, this thread is going off topic. And it gets complicated
> quickly.
> IANAL...
>
> The legal terms on a CD are not what people think.
> You do not own the CD's music. You only own the right to listen to it.
>
> Buying a CD gives you only limited rights to use the music, you can
> not,
> for example, put the wave files up on the internet.
>
> Sony, last year put out a number of CDs with DRM on them, which is
> fairly bad, but much worse was that Sony put them out without labeling
> that the CDs were not really CDs, per the RedBook spec.
>
> Video licensing is even less well understood that music, as bandwidth
> share videos has not been around and commonplace as long as bandwidth
> share music.
>
> It is correct that today, neither Microsoft nor Apple include DRM in
> their mainline products. But Microsoft's Play-for-sure was a DRM.
> And Apple is in bed with Disney, a major creator  of movies. So
> one should be careful extrapolating from today's Apple and Microsoft
> products.
>
> It is impossible to tell, but if the Sony CD DRM had not been badly
> implemented, and had not been labeled a "rootkit" by folks strongly
> against all DRM, perhaps all CDs sold today would have the same sorts
> of
> protection as Sony tried to sell.
>
> Be careful with broad statements about "its my property" because the
> law
> is not as clear or settled as people think.
>
> It is possible that Apple and/or Microsoft will add DRM to their
> formats. It is not possible that FLAC will ever add it, as the goal of
> FLAC precludes it. Just as there is nothing to prevent someone from
> making a package that has better compression than FLAC and calls it
> something like AlmostFree lossless audio codec.
>

> --
> Pat
> http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

If only FLAC worked with iTunes (or vice versa), or else that there
were another music ripping/tagging/labelling all-in-one product for Mac
OSX that was as easy, and worked as well as, iTunes. But it doesn't, and
there isn't - or if there is one,  I'd very much like to know about it
(although only if it reads tags attached by iTunes. The thought of
doing all that again...ugh!). So Aiff it is, then. The only practical
thing against Aiff (apart from the space it takes on your disc, which
is not much against it given how cheap disc space is now) is that
programmes for PCs don't seem to like it much. There there, very sad,
never mind. But tagging is not an issue with Aiff. You can - and I do,
using iTunes - tag Aiff as easily, comprehensively and well as one can
tag FLAC, and a darned site better than one can tag WAV.

--
geraint smith