Robin Bowes;169714 Wrote:
> opaqueice wrote:
> > This isn't new.
> >
> > And there's a much, much better and cheaper method for doing exactly
> > the same thing, and much, much more.
> >
> > It's called the Slim Devices Squeezebox.  Heard of it?
>
> It was almost plausible until I read:
>
> "In his investigations, Mark discovered that data read from a hard
> drive
> directly will exhibit higher levels of jitter. If however, the data is
> retrieved from a flash memory, it is far less tainted and practically
> jitter-free."
>
> What utter tosh.
>
> Unless he's talking about reading audio data synchronously from the
> HDD?
>
> R.

He, he!
Thanks for that snippet! I would never have read far enough to see
that... Really funny!

BTW, I used to have a Marantz SA-1 which read the discs at 2x normal
speed, thus most definately did not have data induced jitter. "Tosh" is
the word. Of course, the memoryplayer could still sound good -but not
for the reasons stated.

--
P Floding