I'm with P Floding mostly.  In-store dems are not quite useless, but are
only good to give you an idea of what you really don't like, and a few
clues as to what you like.

I would also buy second-hand - most of my stuff has been acquired this
way.  In the OP's position, I would listen to speakers first - do I
like panels (buy a pair of Quad ESL-63s then), small monitors (my
kitchen Harbeths were only £300 on ebay), high-efficiency units (my old
Snells sold for scarcely over £100, what a bargain!)?  Then get an amp
to suit; probably valves for me, but that's my personal choice.  Newish
Rotels or Arcams would drive most speakers reasonably well.

Until you have heard a system that you think is totally amazing, and
can describe what you're looking for, it's quite hard to advise.  My
meat may be your poison; you may even be vegetarian :)  There's a big
difference in 'character' between systems, but mostly in speakers.  You
need to make some steps to start with; hi-fi shows can be good for
this.

The WAF is also an issue.  My wife loves the look and feel of my system
- chrome and valves all over the place.  I'd struggle to get a
Transporter into the place as it's so ugly!

Oh and a linear PSU will probably make far less impact than the rest of
the system; I'd suggest leaving the tweaks until you have a generally
good sound.  You should be able to achieve this without spending loads
in the periphery.

HTH, YMMV, etc etc

Adam

--
adamslim

SB3 into Derek Shek d2, Shanling CDT-100, Rotel RT-990BX, Esoteric Audio
Research 859, Living Voice Auditorium IIs, Nordost cables
http://www.last.fm/user/AdamSlim/