Speakers I'd try: Spendor sp100, vandersteen 2ce, triangle celius,
dynaudio 1.3se. All of these can be gotten for around $1k-$1.3k us
used, so should be within your reach. They're all very different, and
all very good (I've owned the sp100 and the celius, but the 1.3se is
the one out of this group that _I_ would buy).

The yamahas that p floding pointed out are fairly famous classic
speakers: it might be hard to get a listen to them. I've never heard
them, but their reputation is pretty great.

I'd match the amp to the speakers afterwards.

--
totoro

squeezebox 3 -> mccormack dna .5 -> audio physic tempo 4