Phil Leigh;171324 Wrote:
> PF - don't the Yams need a    powerful amp to drive them? They are
> infinite baffle and not too easy to drive as I remember.
> Phil

I believe the older NS-1000 series is fairly sensitive, and not a
dificult load either. Certainly nothing like panel speakers! My 50W
Krell KSA-50S drives them to ear-splitting levels (but that amp can
pump out 50 amps).

To test this I just hooked up my old Rotel RB-970BX. It kicks very
reasonable butt with my Yams (NS-2000, very similar to the 1000
series). I think the Rotel can be improved by removing the 5A output
fuses, BTW (if one dares). Also, the spades didn't fit the puny
terminals on the Rotel very well.

It still sounds pretty good. I could live with this sound. In fact a
lot better than I was prepared for! (I think I could fool anyone it was
the Krell playing.) The NS-1000 series is from an era when amps often
were poor at delivering current, wheras today's amps are much better at
this (even cheaper ones).

BTW, unvented boxes shouldn't be less efficient than ported ones,
except if the cabinets are really small and a lot of trickery is done
to try to extend bass? (It's more of a question than a statement, as
I'm not a speaker guru.)

--
P Floding