PhilNYC;171756 Wrote:
> There are a couple of reasons why a consumer might do what Bel Canto
> describes:
>
> -There are some dealers who will not accomodate a home-demo (either via
> policy or that they just don't have the specific component available)
> -There are some dealers who unethically discount and sell into other
> dealers' territories...so the consumer demos the unit to determine that
> s/he likes it, then solicits "bids" from as many dealers as s/he can to
> get the lowest price.
>
> The issue with lowering the price is this...there is an
> industry-accepted standard range for dealer margin.  If Bel Canto does
> anything to lower this margin (ie. lower the retail price without
> lowering the dealer price), then the dealer is incented to sell a
> higher-margin product to his/her customer...and Bel Canto essentially
> loses a dealer.
>
> Regarding Benchmark, there's a reason why you don't see many high end
> dealers representing them...they offer a tiny margin, and most dealers
> would rather represent a higher-margin product.  Most of Benchmark's
> retailers are "pro audio" businesses that have lower dealer margins and
> tend to do higher volume.
>
> For the record, I don't run my business based on the margins I get...I
> basically only represent the stuff that I own myself, regardless of the
> margins...but what I've described above is the reality of most high end
> audio dealer businesses...

I see your point. The issue might be then that they need to "shit or
get off the pot", ie, decide whether they're a direct business or a
dealer oriented one.

Not a fun position to be in, I guess, but they initiated the whole
thing themselves.

Again, I view this discussion as orthogonal to the misleading
marketing. Sure, there are valid reasons to have this policy. But this
doesn't excuse being misleading or dishonest about it.

I personally don't think there is such a thing as "dishonest
discounting". The obverse is really price-fixing, which is illegal in
some cases, and is certainly not how a market is supposed to work.

--
totoro

squeezebox 3 -> mccormack dna .5 -> audio physic tempo 4