PhilNYC;171743 Wrote:
> How is it a pricing problem?  I think its the issue of trying to balance
> a dealer network while trying to sell direct...they are essentially
> competing with their dealers, and if a dealer doesn't want to offer a
> 30-day trial, they will have to compete on some other basis (eg. price,
> service, etc).

Yeah, I thought of that after posting. It might be impossible to
balance having dealers _and_ selling direct. That said, if someone
wanted to use the services of a dealer, why would they demo from bel
canto first? I'd assume in that case, they'd have a dealer they could
get to reasonably easily.

If the problem is that their dealers are undercutting them, then
they've probably set the price too high (my original point).

I would have thought that the _only_ thing their dealers would be
capable of competing on would have to be service (not just repairs, but
the whole package). Given the fact that they're selling direct for more
than they sell wholesale, I would think that they could set their price
so that it would be uneconomic for dealers to undercut them.

But still, there are other companies that do both that don't charge
these restocking fees (benchmark being one, I think).

The whole thing is somewhat unconvincing to me (others of course may
disagree).

This whole thing is a diversion from the main point of this thread,
that their website offer was misleading.

--
totoro

squeezebox 3 -> mccormack dna .5 -> audio physic tempo 4