ErikM;175353 Wrote:
> I've only been asking because I've been using itunes for awhile and it
> rips fast, all of the cd's I've ripped play perfectly, I like how easy
> it is to build playlists, and it sounds good.. For me I don't want to
> spend hours dicking around with various programs. I rip them ,
> slimserver finds them , they play, all the tags are there, art work is
> easy to get... easy, peazey, japanezze :-) If EAC to Flac, to  iriver
> or fobar, or what ever REALLY sounded better I'd do it but if there is
> zero sonic advantage I'll just keep on doing what I been doin' thanks
> for the feedback fella's

There is much more likely to be a difference in EAC vs iTunes than ALAC
vs FLAC.  Lossless is lossless, and it seems highly dubious to me to
suggest that the SB3 will decode one better sonically than the other.

However, EAC will make a difference.  iTunes will take the first rip it
gets, and will use error correction (i.e. guessing) if there is a
problem; EAC will make sure that the rip is correct by rereading dozens
of times, if necessary.  (This is simplified, but close enough)

The audibility of this depends on your system and your CDs.  CD error
correction is rather good, so there may be little or no problems on 99%
of your CDs.  But can you be sure?

You can also use AccurateRip, which compares the rip with others'.  If
yours matches anyone else's, it's basically certain that you're fine.
However, this does not work with iTunes (AFAIK).

I take the view that I only ever want to rip once, and only buy about
10-20 CDs a month, so I use EAC and AccurateRip.  The 10 minutes it
takes to rip allows me to read the sleeve :)

You could try to find a CD that fails at AccurateRip and compare EAC vs
iTunes, but I certainly can't be bothered with that - I'd rather just
get it right first time.

Adam

--
adamslim

SB3 into Derek Shek d2, Shanling CDT-100, Rotel RT-990BX, Esoteric Audio
Research 859, Living Voice Auditorium IIs, Nordost cables
http://www.last.fm/user/AdamSlim/