cliveb;175624 Wrote:

> Not sure exactly what you mean by "damaged", but if you are talking
> about scratches and the like, these aren't the only ones that need
> error concealment. In my experience, the majority are not as a result
> of scratches, but that the CD was originally pressed with uncorrectable
> errors from the start. Most of the CDs I've seen with uncorrectable
> errors look absolutely pristine - they are just badly made.

I initially did mean those that have been badly scratched, but yes you
are right, an awful lot are just badly made. Interestingly, the clear
side can take quite a scratch before it gets really bad since they will
tend to be out of focus to the laser because the pits are much closer to
the label side. So a less deep scratch on the label could actually cause
a lot of damage. I also have a couple of disc that are old and have
oxidised slightly making them unreadable - I guess that's the fate of
all our CDs...
cliveb;175624 Wrote:

> *All* CDs require C1 corrections, typically on every sector. It's in
> the nature of the beast.

Especially in those discs that are deliberately corrupted by copy
protection mechanisms :-(

cliveb;175624 Wrote:

> Are you sure that EAC has error concealment? My understanding is that
> if it fails to get a clean read, it leaves the data in whatever state
> it found it.

I must admit I'm not sure - I don't use EAC, too slow and too much
fussing about to set up. I thought it had concealment via the drive
electronics, but you could be right and it does nothing. In that case,
EAC would be creating audibly broken rips on bad discs rather than a
barely-audible concealment. Is that really the case?

--
CardinalFang