Pat Farrell;175541 Wrote:
> thomsens wrote:
> > I've been looking for a new high-end 2 channel system into which I
> will
> > simply plug my SB, then later a Transporter.
>
> > I won't argue their source was better, even though I didn't notice
> an
> > appreciable difference.  But what I don't understand is how they can
> > look the other way on having 12,000 songs at their instant disposal
> as
> > a trade-off to a nearly non-existent difference in quality.
>
> I'm not following you here. high-end usually means you obsess about
> quality. It is trivial to get better sound quality, don't use MP3. Use
> FLAC.
>
> If you don't care about the last percent or two, why bother with
> high-end, just get something decent, say some $600 speakers and a AV
> receiver. Plug your SqueezeBox into it, and be happy.
>
> To me, the sonic differences between the best MP3 and FLAC on my system
>
> are night and day.
>
> Thinking about getting a Transporter and connecting it to mid-fi
> systems
> playing MP3 doesn't make economic sense to me, IMHO, etc. The
> difference
> between a Transporter and a SqueezeBox are going to be lost on a mid-fi
>
> setup.
>
> But YMMV, etc.
>
> --
> Pat
> http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

Not sure I follow your logic.  Point is that transporter connected to a
decent system very clearly approaches the other sources.  So, the extra
couple % are moving to the much more challenging sources (i.e.,
vinyl/CD).  The reason I haven't used FLAC is for portability.  It's
more important for me to be flexible than to have that extra %.  Night
and day certainly is a dramatic description for the difference.  Pretty
sure I'm not with you.  Sounds like I'm down a <5% with all the
flexibility and the sysetm would still be top notch.

A $600 system isn't in the ball park - didn't follow you there.  And of
course you wouldn't buy a transporter with that system.

--
thomsens