Phil Leigh;175800 Wrote:
> But...adding a 1kHz tone to (the analogue representation of) the digital
> signal wont create analogue noise in the DAC - it just makes it harder
> for the DAC to recover the bits...

Well, not really.  Adding noise to the digital signal (and yes PF, by
digital signal I obviously mean the electrical S/PDIF signal
transmitted along the wire, not the abstract sequence of bits) will
change the analogue output of the DAC.  This is called jitter; it
results from the fact that (most) DACs use the transitions in the
digital signal as a clock.  If there is noise it affects the derived
time of arrival of those transtions, resulting in a jittery clock,
which in turn results in a distorted output waveform.  The difference
between that distorted waveform and the ideal is nothing but a form of
noise at the analogue output - and in fact that's exactly what
Stereophile measures in their tests and refers to as jitter (but it's
NOT what Sean measured - he made a direct measurement of timing
variations in the digital signal).

> The effect of EMI on digital and analogue circuits is completely
> different AFAIK,

In this case it is different - see my post above - but not completely
so.  My point stands - it stretches credulity to the breaking point to
think that some jitter-induced noise overlaid on much louder music is
more audible than similar noise amplified maximally and played against
silence.

--
opaqueice