opaqueice;176468 Wrote:
> Let me give one example (I'm purposely making it extreme to illustrate
> the point).  Imagine you're a scientist, and someone came to you and
> said, when I flip this switch on the wall of my living room, the lights
> go on.  Then when I flip it back they go back off.  I think it's because
> there are some aliens watching that switch, and when it's up they
> immediately fly down from their saucer and make the lights light up.
>
> Sorry for such a long post, but do you see my point?

The short answer, yes I see your point and no I still don't agree at
all.  Don't feel bad - these arguments tend to be polarizing and people
are very set in their beliefs.  I don't expect to change your mind and
your shouldn't expect to change mine.

Using your admittedly extreme example and applying it to this
situation, I would make the following analogy.

Some people in this thread seem to be saying that it's obvious that
aliens aren't flipping the switch and because of that it's obvious that
there is no way for the light to be going on and off.  And they are
unwilling to flip the switch for themselves to check whether it can go
on or off since it's obvious that aliens can't be switching it on or
off.

---Gary

--
GaryB