Eric Carroll;180085 Wrote:
> Why the use of solid wire rather than stranded? While I doubt audio
> frequencies matter, there is definately a surface effect of AC signals
> on solid copper cable, so stranded is more typical. Just curious.

Because it's an Anti-Cable!

FWIW I've probably read every page on the roger russell site :-) The
Science Fiction movie/book page is a good one.

Anyway, Roger says stranded or solid doesn't matter audibly. The
arrangement of the wires does though, according to others. Untwisted
the Inductance of Anti-Cables is 0.82uH/foot run, whereas twisted they
go to 0.30uH/foot run*. My previous DIY cables were Chris VH Cat5
braid, which is very low Inductance. Supposedly this is audible via
high frequency rolloff or extension. **

Those links also list the dielectric coating of solid core as being
superior to stranded cable, due to the airtight seal and minimal amt.
of material. Surely all this stuff is audible to

_further info on the search for long grain copper suppliers_
Chris VH has 'UniCrystal™ 18 AWG OCC Copper wire (Ohno Continuous
Cast)' solid core hookup wire for $2.49/ft. There is a large magnet
wire manufacturer here in town so I may give them a call.

* http://anticables.com/technical.html
** http://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html

--
Skunk