Deaf Cat;180343 Wrote:
> Its interesting stuff :)
>
> I power down everything at night now.  My Arcam has developed a couple
> of faults over the few years I've had it, maybe from being on all the
> time....?? and the new linear psu gets rather warm, so I give it a
> rest.....?
>
> Maybe the psu has never really had a chance to get warm enough for long
> enough..hmmmm
>
> But should not 5vdc be 5vdc from new?, I'm afraid I don't understand
> myself, how capacitors work, would thay make the 5v a smoother 5v?
> I just soldered the few bits together not understanding what they were,
> or what they do :( and something has altered over time.

A capacitor is just like a very fast battery that can be charged and
discharged many times per second.

If the capacity is low for some reason, then the charge will run out
before it was meant to, and a power amp, for example, will be unable to
deliver as much power as it was designed for.

You can also compare it to a pressure vessel -if you know a bit about
pneumatics. A small cap would correspond to a small vessel, and so on.

--
P Floding

No, I didn't ABX it. And I won't even if you ask me. (Especially not if
you ask me.)