ezkcdude;181059 Wrote:
> Benchmark got great reviews from users until it got to be old news. Just
> go look at any of the zillion Benchmark threads on head-fi. As soon as
> something newer and shinier came along (Stello, Lavry, Bel Canto, etc),
> everyone move on from the Benchmark. And all the praise it once got was
> turned around. What used to be "detailed and precise" became
> "analytical, cold, harsh, and fatiguing". Such is audiophilia.

Well, I was following Benchmark on AudioAsylum and other forums for
quite a while - and was actually considering getting one for myself. To
my best knowledge it was getting lots of positive feedbacks only in the
very beginning, and also not so far ago when they made some internal
"upgrade", and again not for long. But most of the time people were
complaining more then expressing satisfaction, and masses were praising
Lavry.

Yes, there were other new developments on DAC front line, and Stello
DA220 looked to me the most interesting. The problem is that while
Stello had more then enough feedbacks, there was (and is) no even bare
minimum of information about its design, which kept me off of any
purchasing decision. I still can't find how does it handle jitter -
their marketing statements only mention "on-chip PLL", which I wouldn't
try to sell as especially advanced feature.

--
325xi

simaudio nova cdp >> simaudio moon i-5 >> revel performa m20 via
acoustic zen matrix reference ii and acoustic zen satori

-planned additions:... >> deq2496 >> lavry da-10 >>...-