sfraser;181151 Wrote:
> Well, after a few hours in my "audio only" system (SB3, Bryston BP25
> preamp, Bryston 3B Amp, and 20 yr old Energy 22 "Connie's", I can't
> hear to much of a difference between the Benchmark DAC1 and the SB3 DAC
Here's a quote from the Audio Critic that I think is pertinent:

"The loudspeaker will determine how your music system sounds. Not the
amplifier, not the preamplifier, not the CD or DVD player, nothing but
the loudspeaker. Speakers, even the finest, are far less accurate in
terms of output compared to input than any of those other components.
The speaker will be invariably the weakest link in the chain, the link
that limits the quality of sound reproduction.

I am always cynically amused when an audiophile brings home a shiny new
amplifier in his hot little hands, breathlessly connects it to the dinky
little box speakers anything larger than which his spouse won’t allow,
and turns on the music. The sound is exactly the same as it was before
with his older, cheaper, less fancy amplifier, but of course he will
not admit it. If he had spent his money on better loudspeakers instead,
the improvement in sound would have been inarguable."

See
http://theaudiocritic.com/blog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=33&blogId=1
for the full article.

--