I'm not able to have a dedicated music room, so I'm upgrading the HT
system in our great room with audiophile-quality equipment to get the
best I can. The new speakers will be a pair of Martin Logan Summits
driven by a Sunfire TGA-7400 amp. There will also be a Sunfire TGP-5
for home theater processing (even though when I listen to music I'll
just use 2-channel).

I'm now looking at music sources for this system. I was originally
considering either a good quality CD/SACD and/or DVD-A player, or a
transport with a good quality DAC. However, while doing all of the
research I ran across (as I'm sure you've guessed) the Squeezebox and
Transporter. I'm in the computer industry and have a gigabit home LAN
and home-grown terabyte server, so this is very attractive to me. The
question of course is can I get good enough quality from whatever I put
together, all the while trying to stay under $2.5k or so if I can (the
MLs and Sunfires did a real number on my pocketbook :D ) I've currently
narrowed the configurations to the following:

1) Squeezebox to a to-be-determined DAC.
2) Transporter.
3) Squeezebox to the TGP-5.

The first two are fairly standard within this form, I'm just not
certain I found anyone using them on Martin Logans, and Summits in
particular. The third option is in case the TGP-5 processes the digital
stream as good as a separate DAC at the price limit I'm considering.
(Its expensive enough to have the necessary quality, its just that I'm
afraid it much more oriented toward HT processing than 2-channel.)

Of course, my final choice will be made by listening to all of them in
one form or another once I have the rest of the system put together.
I'm just hoping for some quality input about this.

Finally, as a newbie I'd like to say thanks to the folks on this forum.
I've been very impressed with the knowledge and general helpfulness that
is provided.

--
kcl

Ken