Anne;181791 Wrote:
> Did you do a before and after test ?  Anyway, I am suddenly in doubt ! I
> was wildly impressed with the SB3 in analogue mode when I got it 2 weeks
> ago, saying to everyone that it was much better than my Philips DVD
> 963SA player with LCAudio mod (AD8066 opamps, 2 x XO3 clocks, Black
> gate capacitors and AD1955 converters) but now, tonight I compared the
> two through my Stax Signature II headphones.
> The Philips plays exceptionally well for the money, it has maybe a
> slight lift in the upper midrange that makes it sound a little lighter
> than the SB3 and its Burr-Brown devices, but its not noticeable all the
> time. I am having a very difficult time hearing a difference between the
> two..., have I maybe missed some adjustments in the SB3, or ?
> The SB3 sounds ruler flat.
> I was playing Bruce Springsteens "The Seeger Sessions".
> I have a Bryston B-100 SST amp, and looking forward to the test in
> Stereophile magazine March issue, it should be very good i was told by
> a Bryston representative. Hope they comment on the build in dac,
> because I consider putting this option in my amplifier. I have seen
> other raving words about this dac in the B-100.....
> Or, maybe I should start with a Welborne power supply for the SB3 first
> ??

When comparing sound from your speakers to your headphone, keep in mind
that you're also hearing the room your speakers are in.  Room
reflections can play a big part.

I would recommend that you test with something very simple.  I prefer
music with one or two instruments and a single voice.  Because there's
much less going on, I can pick out the differences much easier.

Also, if the SB3 analog sounds as good as your CD, I'd say it's doing
pretty good.  Try it with an external DAC and see how it sounds.

-Ben

--
Ben Diss

'SB3' (http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html) -> 'Lavry DA10'