Hi,
I don't think you have it correct about HDCD. My understanding is the
tracks are identical, but an area of the disc is used to store extra
info that can be decoded with the correct hardware.

check the Wiki for HDCD

"HDCD is a proprietary process, and no accurate technical description
has been released to the public. Hence, none of its claims have any
evidence. In fact, since the technology does not involve compression,
and still allows an audio CD to hold the normal 80 minutes of audio
within 700MB, the additional 4 bits of bit depth it claims to add to
the recording cannot physically exist.

HDCD encoding places a control signal in the least significant bit of
the 16-bit Red Book audio samples (a technique known as in-band
signaling). The HDCD decoder in the consumer's CD player, if present,
responds to the signal. If no decoder is present, the disc will be
played as a regular CD.

In itself, the use of the least significant bit does little to degrade
sound quality on a non-HDCD player (only decreasing the signal-to-noise
ratio by a minuscule amount)."

Regards,
M.

--
mudlark

SB3>CyrusDACX>PreXvs>260A>KEFiQ7 cable Avondale
server Kubuntu Edgy,